Thursday, August 6, 2009

sorry if I worried you!

I didn't post my message for Thursday...first day I missed in the whole blogging process this summer. It was an unexpected busy, full, fun day Thursday! I got a call from Sam at the end of the work day. He had taken the day off and I decided to meet up with him since I didn't have other plans. He had mentioned having people over at his place this weekend to see the fireworks, since he was close to where they are, but I didn't realize until I got there to meet him that there were also fireworks Thursday in his area! When I spoke to him on the phone he said he wanted to just hang around and check out the area. I guess all of the women on the trains in yukatas should have clued me in!

I met him at the train station near his house. It was really hot and sticky out. My friend Jen shared her knowledge of these Biore powder sheets- they are like baby wipes (but nicer smelling!) with powder so you can wipe up and feel powdery soft afterwards. Ahhh...she brought me a pack as a surprise Thursday morning and those were a lifesaver after I trekked around in the stickiness! Sam met me with a beer in hand (and one for me!) and we walked to the Jingu stadium area (less than 5 minutes). We thought we'd be able to see the fireworks from a grassy area near the stadium. It cost money for seats in the stadium, and when we got to the park area, they were also charging 2000 yen to go into the park. That was kind of a bust, so we debated whether or not to find a spot along the street and wait a couple of hours.

We were looking around and Sam started talking to a woman who worked at a restaurant on the third floor of the building at the intersection near the stadium. She said it was 3500 yen for a seat at the window and it included a set meal. Score! It was so nice to be in the air conditioned restaurant (with bathroom access!). We had edamame and salad to start, some cabbage dipped in miso as another part, some hot dogs and onions as another part of the meal, and a Korean-like pancake/potato thing (the name escapes me right now). Sam's friend met up with us and gushed about the view, too. They took the card for the place so they can remember that for next year! At first I thought it was going to be not enough food. Just as we were getting a little hungry (two hours after arriving), they brought us some fried rice with a bit of a kick (red pepper flakes). Yum!

The views and the fireworks were INCREDIBLE! The show lasted an hour (from 7:30-8:30 PM). We had our view, drank our beers, and were relaxed in the air conditioning while we watched the people crowding the streets fanning themselves. I would have been miserable standing around like that for hours! After the fireworks ended, Sam's friend Ed, Sam, and I thought about going to a bar called Two Rooms in the Omote Sando area. There were so many people crowding the streets that we made a stop at Godiva instead for dessert. After that, we went to a cafe instead of a bar. Sam's friend had three of his other friends meet up with us, and we spent a couple more hours drinking coffee and tea and talking. Sam knows Ed from the JET program- they both started in the program in 1994 and were in orientation together. Ed has been in Japan ever since and owns a marketing company. It was an evening of good conversation and lots of laughs- just what I needed! I can't believe it is my last weekend here and that next Saturday I'll be on my way home!

1 comment:

Tara said...

What a night. Sounds like a blast! Glad you had a great time.