Talk about a roller coaster of emotions...I woke up this morning with lesson plans on the brain. It was the final day of Summer Day Camp 2008. I knew that I had to do something to keep things moving in front of the parents, so I wanted to WAY overplan (especially for the boys) so I would not look like I was flailing! I got to eat breakfast with Auntie Leslie before leaving for school. I knew from just walking around that it was going to be a hot one! I heard rumors out there around school today that it was 38 degrees C today...that would make it over 100 degrees without factoring in the humidity. YUCK.
Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans...The morning started off with 8 out of 18 of my girls missing. There is construction going on at the elementary school playground area, and that is where the parents usually park their cars. The line was so long for all the parent visitors that it blocked the entrance for the bus and 8 of my girls were on the bus that came 15 minutes late. So, I had to start my day out of order with journal first and morning circle afterwards. The girls seemed to have fun, although they got a little competitive and mean spirited! The little riddle game I had turned a little ugly when two girls fought over a flashcard that neither of them would give up to the other. They crumpled it up and ripped it a bit (since they were gathering stacks of flashcards that they correctly guessed first). Also, another girl made someone cry when she forgot her lines in the play. But, all in all, they were good and I was sad to see them go. I felt like a celebrity during ice cream time as I lined up with them one by one and their parents took my picture with their child. The boys, well, I'm just glad that it's over. :) They did fine in the morning session. I had to make some adjustments to the lesson as I was working but they went with it. In the afternoon, the heat took its toll on all of us and time couldn't go by quickly enough!
The closing (sayonara) ceremony was a good one. There are performances by the counselors and we sing the camp song, "All You Need is Love." They did arm movements and swayed around and it was pretty cute. Afterwards, I had to clean up the room and my desk area in the teacher resource center. I said my goodbyes and it felt strange to walk to the train station! Today was payday at camp, and the first session paycheck was HUGE...in my mind, I thought I'd be getting something close in the next session, but that was not to be. Unfortunately, I hadn't counted on it being 1/5 of what my first paycheck was! I figured out how the paystub read (and where all the numbers came from) and it made sense. But, it was still disappointing after that first paycheck shock! I also felt just really hot and totally drained...but the day wasn't over yet!
After I got back to the house, I talked to Auntie Leslie for a while and planned out what we were going to do that evening and over the next couple of days. Here's where I get to share my BIG NEWS...My Uncle Andy has very generously given me his Nikon D70s camera. He told me that he is ready to upgrade again, that this was his backup camera, and that he thinks it is a good starting point for me to get into digital photography with a great camera. I know that there is a TON to learn, but I'm starting to get excited. Auntie Leslie and I met him at a camera shop in Shinjuku that sells used parts for cameras. I used some of my hard earned cash to buy a good, versatile lens for the camera. I don't know much about it yet, but it sounds like it's a great deal! For those of you out there that know what I'm talking about, it is an AF-S DX VR Zoom- Nikkor 18-200 mm. Uncle Andy read some reviews on it and the fact that it is not brand new (original box, warranty information still included for the lens bought originally in Nov. 2007) meant it was affordable for me! Now I can't wait to take pictures and learn how to use the camera! All of you with kids out there...watch out...I'm coming with my big, cool camera and I hope to wow you! ;) I'm going to take some pictures around here before I leave as well, under the tutelage of Uncle Andy, of course. After my shopping this evening, we had dinner at a restaurant at the top of the Keio department store in Shinjuku. I had a great dinner that included a little bit of everything...soup, veggies, sashimi, sushi, and it even included dessert!
So the roller coaster of emotions continues...anticipation, a sense of accomplishment, good times with family, missing home/friends, and then excitement about possibilities and more adventures to come...thanks for following along in the ride!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment