Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Long day!

It's been such a long day, I almost feel like it was two days put in one!

The counselors were looking a little ragged today so I decided to give them a nice, quiet English class. The kids worked on word searches and created their conversation wheels today, and that was about it! I found out from the counselor in the first English class of the day that I was going to have a substitute counselor for the second English class of the day. She said that the girl was just DONE with those Tigers! The kids were hanging on her, putting their hands in her shirt, and were just getting to be too much to where she needed a day off! I'll have to check with her tomorrow to see if she is doing okay!

We left right from school to head to Tokyo Dome for the Giants game. There was a group of 24 of us, and yes, we were the obnoxious Gaijin (foreigners) on the train. We were loud, talking across the train to each other, and I was a bit embarrassed but needed them because they knew where they were going! At the Tokyo Dome City (amusement park) there is a roller coaster (similar to the roller coaster at New York, New York in Las Vegas), and about half of us went on it. It was about a 30 minute wait, but quite fun. We missed the start of the baseball game because we went on the roller coaster, though. View of the roller coaster below...
At the entrance, it was interesting that you can bring your own drinks in, and if you have done so, they will pour it into a cup for you at the entrance so it is an easily disposable cup (and they recycle the plastic container). The fans in the stands really chant and sing a lot. The people in our group were making up their own words for what they thought the people were chanting (Ma-tsu-o?= Nuts and bolts!). Our section, and our group, actually made it on the Jumbo-tron, which was kind of fun considering how far up there we were! I will post pictures later [see below!] of the beer girls who carry mini-kegs on their backs to deliver beer to the fans in the stands. Quite the sight! I bought a waffle-like ice cream sandwich that is only sold at the Tokyo Dome because it looks like a dome. Pictures of that later, too [see below]. Tasted a little stale. :) Does it look like a dome to you?
The game wasn't that exciting. The Dragons got about 4 home runs, and when I left in the 8th inning, the Giants were down by two. It is exciting when they score a run, though. Orange towels are waved above people's heads in celebration. The Giants did have one home run, and I still don't know who actually won. The boys in my class weren't that impressed that I was going to the Giants game because they like the Hanshin Tigers (the Giants' main rivals).


Uncle Peter had told me that his friend from church plays for the Giants and that he is a really nice guy so I kept an eye out for him. I was cracking up when we were in the stands and the people started chanting RahMe-REZ (roll the r's on that one to get the intonation right)! The guy's last name is Ramirez, but the accent was missing when the chant was going!

I wanted a little souvenir from the game so I went to the vending machine-like thing that all the little boys were crowding around. They saw me take out money and freaked out and watched me carefully because they were putting all kinds of money into the machine hoping for a certain player in their turn of the wheel. They wanted to see which player I got on my mini-towel and they all screamed out the name. I thought the name was Harada. But, they were saying Hara da...it is Hara. I think that is the owner's name and not even a player! Lame. :( Oh well, it only cost 300 yen!

I'm going to be exhausted tomorrow so it's time for bed for me! I might edit and re-post depending...good night!

No comments: