Saturday, July 19, 2008

NOW I'm excited!

When people would ask me if I was excited about the summer day camp, I think there were too many unknowns for me to say one way or another. But, after going to the orientation today, I'm now really excited about meeting the little ones and getting this camp started!

We started off the day in the theater for a Welcome/Philosophy of summer day camp for newbies. Then we had refreshments and went back with all of the people to meet the support staff, find out changes for 2008, and other first day procedures. We also got the good news that we are getting a little extra in our final pay for attending the orientation (10,000 yen). I don't think I had an appreciation for how big this summer camp is. There are 1600 students, and about 250 staff (around 80 high schoolers, 80 college aged, and 80 adults). The English teachers (me included) were introduced, and then we went off to take our group photo and have the information session specific to our group.

For those of you worried that I'll be working really hard...Well, here is my schedule:
9:00 Start camp (8:45 on the first and last days)
9:00-9:30 Prep
9:30-10:25 English class with group 1
10:30-11:25 English class with group 2
11:30-11:55 Meetings (1-2 times per week, otherwise lunch)
12:00-12:25 Lunch (good food provided for us!)
12:30-1:25 PREP
1:30-2:15 English class with group 1 (Ice cream snack in the cafeteria)
2:30-3:15 English class with group 2 (Ice cream snack in the cafeteria)
3:30 End camp

The 55 minute morning session will essentially be the same stuff because it's two different groups. Same with the afternoon session except it's only 45 minutes because of the snack break. So, yeah...this is going to be awesome!!! (I'm also told I can eat ice cream with both of my groups in the afternoon if I'd like! Hehehehe. Reminds me of being back on the cruise!) I plan on taking advantage of access to the pool at the school before and/or after camp. I think some of the teachers do sports in the afternoons after camp. I don't know about running around and playing soccer or tennis in the heat...I'll just swim!

Jen is another 4th grade teacher at summer day camp and she has been EXTREMELY helpful. She also has the dubious task of 20 boys in one of her classes (the rest of us have 18 at most, and I don't have boys this session!) She has each day planned out already (from previous camps) and has shared a ton of ideas. The last day of each session is Parent Day where the parents can come and experience camp for the whole day with them. We are going to work on a play for the students to perform on the last day for them. The students will make the backdrops, the props, and all that. I can't wait to see it! I'm told it's like the paparazzi in there with all of the cameras going off and filming the play.

My counselors all seem pretty good. I'm supposed to put them to work as I'd like (having them as involved as I'd like them to be). They commented about how plain the room was when they were first sitting in there, so they made a giant poster welcoming our Pigeons and Canaries! :) It's totally cute! I felt bad when I found out that other teachers had nothing for their counselors to do and let them go early. I'm curious to see how they are with the girls.

The fourth grade girls that I'll have this first session are the "C" and "D" levels in English. "A" is the most advanced. However, the levels are based on parent reporting of their child's ability level in English. From what I hear, the parents either way overestimate their child's ability or they way underestimate it. It should be interesting to see what they are actually capable of. In that sense, I'm going to try not to plan too much ahead of time and tailor the games/activities more to their ability.

I made dinner at the house tonight (Thanks, Auntie Leslie, for the instructions!) and I'm looking forward to meeting up with Uncle Andy tomorrow for lunch. I think I'll be more in Tokyo city center then, which will be a nice break from the 'burbs where I am! :)

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I'd be excited about ice cream twice a day too!! Hopefully it'll be a good kind. :)