Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Not much to report

So some of you may be rejoicing at my short post for today! I probably went into too much detail in previous posts! Classes went well today, but overall I felt tired. I slept from about 10 PM until 6:30, so it was plenty of sleep. Maybe it's just an accumulation of jet lag.

The students picked up the rhythm during the morning circle time, and then we added on to it. They said, "Hi, my name is ____, and I like ____." We worked on action words/following directions using flashcards, did the Hokey Pokey (They love that!), and played Twister as well. I tied the 'following directions' part into the journal writing in the afternoon where they got the instructions in word form only (Turn around. Walk backwards. Shake hands, etc.) and drew their own pictures to go with it. These girls are amazing artists and have beautiful penmanship. I want to ask them how and when they learned to write in English, because maybe it'll lead to some insight about how I can better teach my students how to print and write in cursive!

I must say that that I enjoyed (gasp!) the walk to and from school today! I had my tank top on, my iPod going, and there was a cool(er) breeze. I also discovered the vending machine in the staff lounge that keeps Diet Coke (oops...I mean, Coca Cola Light) stocked, so maybe I'm walking a little easier when I have the stuff that powers me back home in me! :) I stopped by the Family Mart convenience store near the house for some more juice and bananas and have been relaxing and reading since finishing up with dinner.

The only thing that's bugging me now is that a bug made its way into my bra (how? when?) and bit me in a nice neat row of three. But, it's impossible to itch there without it looking odd! :)

2 comments:

Tara said...

I think your students are probably better at the rhythm game than I am! All that clapping, snapping...and being creative??? Too much for my little brain.

I want to see pictures of this art! Are you allowed to take photos?

Coto Clan said...

Hi Tamiko (or should I say, Tami?)! Cathy and I have really been enjoying your posts. Your class sounds terrific. 'Pigeons' and 'Canaries' sure beats something like... 'Buzzards' and 'Turkeys'. Cindy is right - We need two ice cream breaks during our day. A different flavor with each break. All 31! Bicycling and earthquakes; Tamiko the adventurer.

Take care, hope you're feeling better, and... try and stay COOL!

John Mitchell